| ||關於多款游戏中的激光步枪总览，參見Laser Rifle。|
AER9 Laser Rifle
- Metal Blaster (The Pitt add-on) - This unique variant of the AER9 fires nine beams at once, using one Microfusion Cell similar to the Protectron's Gaze Laser Pistol. This feature, coupled with its remarkably high damage-per-shot makes it a devastating short to close-range weapon, though its effectiveness greatly diminishes at a range with the "shotgun effect". It can be obtained by bringing fifty Steel Ingots to Everett in The Pitt.
- Tri-Beam Laser Rifle (Broken Steel add-on) - The Tri-Beam Laser Rifle is a variant of the AER9 that fires three high-powered beams per shot - similar to the Metal Blaster - though it does require three Microfusion Cells every time the trigger is pulled. It is technically not a unique version of the AER9 but rather a variant as it frequently drops from Super Mutant Overlords and is not repairable with anything but other Tri-Beam Laser Rifles. It was first made available in Broken Steel.
There are a number of Laser Rifles that can be found from an early level:
- Laying next to a dead Brotherhood Initiate in the north office building off of Falls Church (the one without Initiate Pek).
- In a cabinet in the Talon Company Camp
- On a shelf in the Overseer's Office of Vault 92
- In a tent near a wrecked army truck north east of Smith Casey's Garage (guarded by a level adjusted robot which can be a tough fight, but sometimes patrolling Brotherhood Outcasts will destroy it.
- One in a cabinet in The Family's home. (Hard lock)
These Laser Rifles aren't usually in the best shape and getting them repaired by merchants can be quite expensive.
In combat, the Laser Rifle is an exceptional weapon. It performs admirably at medium and long ranges where its accurate semi-automatic fire combined with its large ammo capacity makes short work of most opponents. However, its semi-automatic nature prevents it from being a viable close quarters combat weapon. As such, the Laser Rifle is a good weapon for traveling through the open wastelands where dispatching enemies at a distance is a frequent opportunity. Although its damage output is only comparable to the Hunting Rifle and lower than the Sniper Rifle, its rapid semi-automatic action, sizable magazine, minimum spread of 0 (meaning potentially perfect accuracy), extreme effective range, and exceptionally low AP cost allows the Laser Rifle to really stand out.
A deadly critical hit from this weapon, as with all other energy weapons, will not only kill enemies but also turn them into a pile of sparkling ashes, which can still be looted as normal. Note that the Brotherhood and the Enclave both use these rifles, however, Enclave Forces also field Plasma Rifles alongside the AER9. Even though the Plasma Rifle does twice as much damage, the Laser Rifle's capacity is twice as large.
If you explore Fort Independence, you will come across a terminal in the Weapon Research room near the Armory Room, which says the the AER9 will overheat after numerous shots and that it is only supposed to be able to fire 12 to 13 shots per Micro-Fusion cell when you can obviously shoot 24 (or 30 with the Wazer Wifle) lasers per Cell.
One very useful trait about this weapon is that, with a high enough Repair skill, you can repair them to 100%, giving them the sizable value of 999, caps. Meaning at 100 barter skill, you can usually sell one for around 890 caps to 950, depending on the vendor.
On the barrel, there is a warning: "Caution: laser radiation". It's also rated as a "Class 6" laser, which may be a subtle nod to the internationally used laser class rating system, which currently rates the strongest industrial lasers as "Class 5".