Chairman Cheng was the military leader of China from at least 2066 until the Great War in 2077. Under his rule, in 2066 China invaded the US state of Alaska. China's head of state during that time was President Xin, and the details of the relationship between the two leaders are not known.
Chairman Cheng does not appear in any of the games and is mentioned only in Fallout 3. A distinctive facial hair style that can be chosen for the player character in the game is also named after him. This facial hair style bears a resemblance to the type of mustache often associated with Fu Manchu, presumably a reference to the fact that the United States' enemy is the "yellow peril" of Red China, much as Fu Manchu symbolized the "yellow peril" during the early 20th century.
- While in the Tranquility Lane or Operation: Anchorage simulation, a few of the Chinese soldiers can be heard yelling "For Chairman Cheng!" The Chinese Remnant Soldiers in Mama Dolce's also yell this occasionally.
- Liberty Prime sometimes yells the line "Chairman Cheng will fall!".
- He was named after Ashley Cheng, production director at Bethesda Softworks.
- In the fourth DLC pack, Point Lookout the name Cheng, A, appears on one of the remains lockers in the morgue at the detention center, obviously a reference to the bethesda production director.
- Irving Cheng, resident of Tenpenny Tower in the year 2277, Is the descendant of Chairman Cheng. This is obvious, by the title, Comrade in Cheng's name.