The Destabilizer is a fully automatic version of the Alien Disintegrator, and has the highest listed base damage out of all the Energy weapons in the game, and can be increased another 20% with the Xenotech Expert perk. Despite this, it does less damage per shot than the Disintegrator. It does, however, have a higher damage per second, making it better for clearing rooms, should the player not mind using far more ammo. It is slightly less accurate than the Disintegrator, and only fires a single round in VATS, despite being automatic. This, coupled with the Destabilizer's not significantly lower AP cost, makes the Disintegrator a better candidate for VATS-heavy usage.
This weapon is found in the Weapons Lab's shooting range, after beaming up from the Space Walk and proceeding through the Observation Deck. It is in the same room as where the Xenotech Expert perk is obtained. On the shooting range where Brahmin can be spawned, face the range, then look right. The Destabilizer should be on a low shelf next to you. It is the only item on that shelf. Be sure to pick this up the first time you go through because the ways of getting back are limited as you go through the ship due to teleporters being the only mean of transportation.
- The Destabilizer fires single shots within VATS, making the normal Disintegrator far superior in VATS from a damage/AP standpoint.
- Although the texture is the same as the Alien Disintegrator, it's held in a different way on the player's back when holstered.
- It is possible to get its' damage up to an astounding 190. This includes 100% Energy Weapons, Xenotech Expert, Superior Defender, and Almost Perfect. (xbox 360)
- Like its normal counterpart, the Destabilizer has a Small Guns icon when assigned to a hotkey in the Pip-Boy.
- The Destabilizer has a bugged reload animation; however, instead of the jam animation, such as in the Disintegrator, the Plasma Pistol's reload animation is played when the Destabilizer is reloaded.