Guard brahmin herd for Grisham
|“||I don't have that kind of money, and if I did, I wouldn't give it to a little trickster like you.||”|
—Chosen One, after failing the task
NOTE: This is not a quest listed in your Pip-Boy 2000.
In Modoc, talk to Grisham (Davin and Miria's father) about his slaughterhouse. When you exit the conversation, he'll ask you if you want a job. Agree to it and he'll send you to the brahmin pasture. Your task is to keep the wild dogs from killing his herd.
After you're moved to the pasture, you should run north immediately to put yourself between the brahmin and the marauding dogs. It also helps to start combat manually to make them waste turns running toward you. There are 10 dogs total and they spawn semi-randomly, but always from the north side of the screen. Each brahmin they take down lessens your reward, so kill them as quickly as you can. Typically after a few have gone down, the rest turn on you, so be prepared. They can be nasty due to their high Sequence if you're not prepared.
When you've killed them all, return to Grisham and he'll pay out according to how well you did. If for some reason all the brahmin are killed, you'll have to pay Grisham $1500. This leads to an unfixed bug, where you can't actually pay him and have to deal with all sorts of game-related nastiness.
- $1000 (-$100 for each brahmin killed)
- +0 to +50 Karma
- Each dog dispatched by you personally gives +5 Karma. Does not count if any party member kills one.
- 600 XP (Not quest specific experience)
- These are quest-specific dogs, thus the notation here.
- Sometimes even if all dogs are killed and brahmins are saved, the game can considers that the brahmins are all dead, making the quest to fail once you leave the area.